Our Race for Awareness
….Join us! In Our Race for Awareness!
Throughout 2019/20, we have a host of both running and volunteering opportunities to support our fundraising runners! If you’re interested in either (or both!) keep an eye on this page as we’ll keep it updated with new opportunities as they arise! JOIN US! And help raise urgently needed awareness of Kawasaki Disease.
**Brighton Marathon – 19 April 2020**
THIS IS A BIG ONE!!!! Are you up for it? We have a limited number of Brighton Marathon places for this, the second largest and second fastest marathon in the U.K! Perhaps you’re a seasoned runner – or maybe you’re looking to take on a personal challenge with your first ever marathon? Why not run for Team Societi?
There’s just ONE PLACE LEFT – so be quick if you want to apply here to run for Societi and raise awareness of Kawasaki Disease!
What our runners will get:
- Support in your training, with the option of joining our virtual running Facebook group – a hugely supportive community with input from some expert athletes! https://m.facebook.com/groups/221401265367469
- Access to a Brighton Marathon training plan as your guide, and support from experienced marathon runners via blogs and a Marathon group webinar
- A free Societi technical running vest for your marathon run
- Support at the race including #TeamSocieti volunteers to cheer you as you run
- A comprehensive fundraising pack, full of tips, information, ideas and fundraising resources to help you achieve your fundraising target
- Input from an experienced Brighton Marathon runner – including tips on travel and accommodation if you need it!
- A pre-race meet-up, to help calm the nerves! And a post race catch up to start your celebrations!
- In addition to the medal you’ll get for completing the marathon from the organisers – there’ll be a Societi medal for you too!
- Newsletters to keep you up to date with Societi news and activities
You’ll be to inspired to race for us – in fact excited to race – and committed to train too. And you’ll be just as excited to fundraise and raise awareness for Kawasaki Disease! We’re here to help with the latter but the running is down to you!
If you secure a Societi Brighton Marathon place you’ll be committing to raising £1,500 for us and growing awareness in your community as you train. We’ll provide support and materials to help you achieve this!
You’ll get on-the-day support with Societi volunteers along the course, there to support you and cheer you on!
How can I get involved?
Runner? Apply here and join Team Societi at Brighton Marathon!
Supporter? We’re looking for volunteers to support Team Societi on the day – cheering on our runners and raising awareness in Societi T-shirts too! Contact us here.
**London Marathon – 26 April 2020**
How can I get involved?
Runner? Do you have a championship place or a ballot place? Why not consider running in a Societi vest and joining Team Societi on the day! Get in touch if you’d be interested!
Supporter? We’re looking for people who’d like to volunteer on the day – cheering on Team Societi runners and raising awareness in Societi T-shirts too! Contact us here.
What is Kawasaki Disease?
Kawasaki Disease is predominantly a childhood illness though it can affect people of any age. Its cause is unknown. Kawasaki Disease is the leading cause of acquired heart disease in children. Awareness of Kawasaki Disease is currently low and it is often mistaken for other common childhood illnesses, leading to misdiagnosis and delayed treatment. Children who go untreated or who are treated later face higher risks of developing complications including lifelong heart damage. Early diagnosis and treatment are key to better outcomes.
Kawasaki Disease – why haven’t I heard about this before?
Kawasaki Disease is increasingly common in the U.K, globally cases are rising fast – but it remains little known by doctors and the general public alike. We want to change this! Too many children and young people today have heart damage because of Kawasaki Disease. The consequences of this can be very serious and can be lifelong …help us change this.
When you undertake any activities in whatever form for Societi Foundation, you do so entirely at your own risk. We will not accept any liability should anything happen to you. You should follow the advice and instruction from professionals at all times. By participating, you confirm that you understand that any fees paid to enter are not refundable.